Recognizing and Helping Students with Academic and Behavioral Needs

Report a Student of Concern

The College of Architecture, Art, and Planning encourages all faculty and staff to recognize students of concern. Please reach out if you have questions and also refer to this resource by Cornell Health. 

If you encounter a student with academic needs (poor attendance, declining grades, or other academic concerns) or non-immediate behavioral concerns, please complete this form.

Use this guide to help notice the signs of distress and respond in an effective way. If you're not sure who to call, consult the resources below.

Levels of Distress: Concern (during normal business hours)

Visible distress, sadness, crying, irritability, anger, anxiety, traumatic life event, absences from class, missing assignments, noticeable change or very poor quality in academic performance, lack of motivation, social withdrawal. Please be aware that early intervention is important, but it can take a few days or longer to connect students with support.

What to do: Talk with the student directly and walk student to Student Services (B56) or ask them to make an appointment with Student Services. Concern covers a wide range of behaviors, and your observations and conversations with a student may provide information that the situation is more urgent.

In addition, submit an entry to the academic concern system. Student services staff are notified and will take action as needed. 

Levels of Distress: Urgent Situation

Expressions of hopelessness, talk of suicide or harm to others, being out of touch with reality.

What to do: Get assistance and consult with the resources below as needed. The Office of Student Services can provide support. If AAP resources are not available, call Cornell Health at 607-255-5208 and ask to speak to a counselor. After hours, call Cornell Health at 607-255-5155.

Levels of Distress: Emergency

Immediate threat of harm to self or others.

What to do: Get immediate help. Call Cornell Police at 911. Tell them everything you know about the student and the situation, including who else is present. The police will coach you about what to do next.


Cornell Health

Cornell Health provides medical care, counseling, and support services for students on Cornell's Ithaca campus. Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff can provide consultation and support for faculty and staff who are working with students of concern.

  • Cornell Health Website
  • 110 Ho Plaza (Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m., limited services 5 p.m.–7 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m.–4 p.m.)
  • (607) 255-5155, 24/7 phone support

Cornell Victim Advocates

Support for individuals who have experienced harassment, physical or emotional/mental assault, stalking, violent or potentially violent relationships, sexual assault or rape, bias-related incidents, hazing, or any other victimization.

Bias/Harassment Concerns

The university has processes to report and provide resolutions for individuals who have concerns related to the treatment they have received from others.

Title IX Coordinator

For gender-based harassment, sexual harassment, sexual assault, domestic and dating violence, stalking, sexual exploitation, and other forms of sexual misconduct.

Additional Resources

Close overlay