NAAB Accreditation

Accredited Programs

The department's NAAB-accredited programs include the Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) program and Master of Architecture, Professional (M.Arch.) program.

Note on Professional Accreditation Programs

In the United States, most registration boards require a degree from an accredited professional degree program as a prerequisite for licensure. The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB), which is the sole agency authorized to accredit professional degree programs in architecture offered by institutions with U.S. regional accreditation, recognizes three types of degrees: the Bachelor of Architecture, the Master of Architecture, and the Doctor of Architecture. A program may be granted an eight-year, three-year, or two-year term of accreditation, depending on the extent of its conformance with established educational standards.

Doctor of Architecture and Master of Architecture degree programs may require a preprofessional undergraduate degree in architecture for admission. However, the preprofessional degree is not, by itself, recognized as an accredited degree.

Cornell University, College of Architecture, Art, and Planning, Department of Architecture offers the following NAAB-accredited degree programs:

Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.)
154 undergraduate credits
Next accreditation visit for the B.Arch.: 2025

Master of Architecture, Professional (M.Arch.)
113 graduate credits
Next accreditation visit for the M.Arch.: 2029

Part of the NAAB Conditions for Accreditation is the Student Performance Criteria. The criteria encompass two levels of accomplishment:

Understanding: means the assimilation and comprehension of information without necessarily being able to see its full implication.

Ability: means the skill in using specific information to accomplish a task, in correctly selecting the appropriate information, and in applying it to the solution of a specific problem.


Cornell AAP will furnish electronic versions of the following documents on demand, in PDF format, or in another format if the person requesting requires accommodations for a disability.

Close overlay