J. Meejin Yoon
J. Meejin Yoon, AIA FAAR, is an architect, designer, and educator, whose projects and research investigate the intersections between architecture, technology, and the public realm. Prior to joining the faculty at AAP, Yoon was at MIT for 17 years and served as the head of the Department of Architecture from 2014–18.
Yoon is cofounding principal of Höweler and Yoon Architecture, a studio recognized for design innovation and excellence. Among current projects are the Memorial for Enslaved Laborers at the University of Virginia, the Coolidge Corner Theater expansion, and the MIT Museum. The studio has received numerous professional awards and honors.
Yoon's work has been exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York, the Vitra Design Museum in Germany, and the National Art Center in Japan. Publications by Yoon include Expanded Practice (Princeton Architectural Press, 2009), Public Works (MAP Book Publishers, 2008), and Absence (Printed Matter and the Whitney Museum of Art, 2003).
She received a bachelor of architecture from Cornell AAP and a master of architecture in urban design from Harvard GSD.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural practice
- The Memorial to Enslaved Laborers at the University of Virginia
- CRP Faculty on the COVID-19 Crisis and the Post-pandemic City
- Medical Workers' Principle of Mutual Aid is a Call to Action for Designers, Too
- AAP Responds to Six Weeks of COVID Crisis
- Architecture Schools Adapt to an Uncertain Future
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- ACADIA Teaching Award (2016)
- New Generation Design Leadership Award from Architectural Record (2015)
- Audi Urban Futures Award (2012)
- United States Artist Award in Architecture and Design (2008)
- Rome Prize in Design (2005)
- Yoon, J. M., and Eric Höweler. Expanded Practice: Höweler and Yoon Architecture/My Studio. Princeton Architectural Press, 2009.
- Yoon, Jeannie M. Absence. Printed Matter and the Whitney Museum of Art, 2003.
- Yoon, Jeannie M., and Meredith Miller. Public Works: Unsolicited Small Projects for the Big Dig. Map Book Pub, 2008.