Tjaden Hall houses the Olive Tjaden Gallery, the Experimental Gallery, numerous classrooms and art studios, printmaking labs, and a darkroom. Formerly known as Franklin Hall, the structure was built during a university building boom in the late 19th century. Named for America's first great scientist, Benjamin Franklin, this first home for physics and chemistry on the Cornell campus was designed by the Reverend Charles Babcock, the university's first professor of architecture, who designed several campus buildings during his tenure. The building was completed in 1883. By 1906, the chemistry and physics departments had moved to new quarters, and the building became home to the Department of Art. In 1981 the structure became Olive Tjaden Hall, named for Olive Tjaden Van Sickle '25, a pioneering woman architect and artist whose substantial gift largely made possible the renovation of the building in 1998.