Florian Idenburg is a cofounding partner of New York-based architecture firm SO–IL with Jing Liu. His practice spans architecture, installation, exhibition, and furniture design. In addition to being an expert on structural and spatial form, he is an accomplished writer and educator.
Idenburg was educated in the Netherlands and trained as a practitioner in Japan. His aesthetic sensibility and approach to architecture is a synthesis of Dutch and Japanese traditions. From 2000 to 2007, he worked at Tokyo-based SANAA, the firm of Pritzker Prize-winning architects Kazuyo Sejima and Ryue Nishizawa. At SANAA, he oversaw the design and development of the Glass Pavilion at the Toledo Museum of Art (2006) and the New Museum (2007).
Founded in 2008 by Idenburg and Liu, SO–IL has grown into a world-renowned architecture firm with public and private clients spread around the globe, from France and South Korea to the United States and Mexico. Their work is celebrated for its sensitivity, intellectual rigor, and imaginative approach to solving challenges of the built environment. Idenburg brings playful intuition and unbounded energy to the professional practice of architecture. Idenburg earned a Master of Science in Architectural Engineering from the Delft University of Technology.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural practice
- By Redrawing the Way We Design, Build, and "Unbuild," Circularity Could Reduce Forced Labor in the Building Industry
- SO–IL, Johnston Marklee Among American Academy of Arts and Letters 2022 Architecture Award Winners
- BIPOC A&D Practitioners are Winning Awards—But Representation is Just the First Step
- The Innovative Brooklyn Architects Paving the Way for a New Generation
- Meet the Five 2022 United States Artists Fellows in Architecture & Design
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Emerging Voices, Architectural League of New York (2013)
- Charlotte Köhler Prize, Prince Bernhard Culture Fund (2010)
- MoMA PS1 Young Architects (2009)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Beeline, Lisbon, Portugal (2020)
- Into the Hedge, Columbus, IN (2019)
- L'air pour l'air, Chicago (2017)
- Blueprint at Storefront, cocurated with Jing Liu and Sebastiaan Bremer, New York City (2015)
- Spiky, Beijing, China (2013)
- Human(s) Work (Taschen, 2020)
- Florian Idenburg, Jing Liu, Ilias Papageorgiou, "Solid Objectives: Order, Edge, Aura" (Lars Müller Publishers, 2017)