Felix Heisel is an architect and academic working towards the systematic rethinking of our built environment as resource storage in an endless cycle of use and reconfiguration. At Cornell University, he held the position of Hans and Roger Strauch Visiting Critic; at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology Germany and the Future Cities Laboratory Singapore, he acts as head of research of sustainable construction. Heisel received several awards and published various books and articles, including Cultivated Building Materials with Dirk E. Hebel (Birkhäuser, 2017), and Building from Waste with Dirk E. Hebel and Marta H. Wisniewska (Birkhäuser, 2014).
Heisel graduated from the Berlin University of the Arts and has been teaching and researching at universities around the world, including the Berlage Institute; the Ethiopian Institute of Architecture, Building Construction, and City Developments; and ETH Zürich, both in Switzerland and Singapore.
- Wasted: Trash Talks: Design for the End of Material as We Know It
- Option Studio: Cyclo: Architectures of Waste
- Felix Heisel: Rethinking Abundance: Resource-Adequate Building, and the Example of UMAR
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/7912 Option StudioAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- JEC Asia Innovation Award (2016)
- Zumbotel Group Award (2014)
- Bauhaus.SOLAR Award (2012)
- National German Merit Foundation (since 2010)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Beyond Mining – Urban Growth, at the Seoul Architecture Biennale, Seoul, South Korea (2017)
- Daring Growth, at the 2016 Venice Biennale of Architecture
- Waste Vault, at the IdeasCity Festival, New Museum, New York City (2015)
- Dirk E. Hebel and Felix Heisel, eds., Cultivated Building Materials: Industrialized Natural Resources for Architecture and Construction (Birkhäuser, 2017)
- Dirk E. Hebel, Felix Heisel, Alireza Javadian, and Karsten Schlesier, "Engineering Bamboo - a Green Economic Alternative Part 01," A+U 5, no. 548 (2016)
- Felix Heisel and Bisrat Kifle, Lessons of Informality: Architecture and Urban Planning for Emerging Territories — Concepts from Ethiopia (Birkhäuser, 2015)