Sasa Zivkovic is an assistant professor at Cornell AAP where he directs the Robotic Construction Laboratory (RCL), an interdisciplinary research group investigating robotic based construction technology.
Zivkovic is a coprincipal of H.A.N.N.A.H, an experimental architecture practice based in Ithaca, New York. H.A.N.N.A.H's research focuses on advancing traditional building construction techniques by implementing new technologies and processes of making, addressing subjects of construction, rapid urbanization, and mass customized housing design. In close collaboration with the high-tech building industry, H.A.N.N.A.H and RCL explore the implementation of construction techniques such as additive concrete manufacturing and robotic wood construction.
H.A.N.N.A.H's RRRolling Stones project won the 2018 Folly/Function competition hosted by the Architectural League of New York and Socrates Sculpture Park. In December 2018, H.A.N.N.A.H was named a Next Progressive by Architect magazine and recently completed a 3D-printed Guard House in Suzhou, China; a pro bono Modular Dental Clinic in Ladakh, India; and a 3D-printed Corbel Cabin in Ithaca, New York.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural practice
- Architectural technology
- Visual representation
- Crisis: An Opportunity to Build Better Spaces
- The Tech to Expect in 2021
- Dezeen's Top 10 Cabins of 2020
- Silver Linings: Innovation, Kits, Tech Animate a Hybrid Semester
- Design Miami: Architects for Beirut
- ARCH 2102 B.Arch. Second Year Integrative Design StudioIn this Integrative Design Studio, the requirements of building systems are seen to both support and inform architectural concepts and form. One of the key design experiences during this semester will be the interaction of these concepts and building systems. Questions of energy, thermal comfort, sustainability, structure, material, and life safety will be addressed.
- ARCH 1502 Media of Representation IIThe understanding of representational and fabrication techniques as generative tools in the design process.
- ARCH 5111 M.Arch. Core Studio IIntroduction to fundamental concepts of architectural design and representation, including preliminary notions of site, program, and context. Emphasis on interpretive, analytical, and generative uses of drawing, physical modeling, and digital media in the design process.
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/5116/8913 Option Studio: Robotic Wood ArchitecturesAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/5116/8913 Option Studio: Villa AdditivaAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Winner, Folly/Function 2018 competition, Architectural League of New York, with RRRolling Stones, by H.A.N.N.A.H, Leslie Lok and Sasa Zivkovic
- H.A.N.N.A.H named "Next Progressives" by Architect magazine (December 2018)
- Best workshop runner-up, Rob|Arch 2018, for "Sub-additive 3D printing of Optimized Double Curved Concrete Lattice Thin Shell Structures," led by Sasa Zivkovic, Martin Fields Miller, and Christopher A. Battaglia
- "Emergency Wood: Repurposing Cornell Ash Trees Infected by the Emerald Ash Borer for Sustainable and Smart Robotic Based Wood Construction," $19,426, Atkinson Center for a Sustainable Future Rapid Response Fund Grant; Sasa Zivkovic (PI), Kifle Gebremedhin (co-PI), and Peter Smallidge (co-PI); Cornell University (2018)
- Fellow, German National Academic Foundation, Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes (2008–10)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- A New Robotic Brutalism - Additive Architectural Elements, invited solo exhibition at Pinkcomma Gallery, curated by Chris Grimley, Michael Kubo, Mark Pasnik; by H.A.N.N.A.H, Leslie Lok and Sasa Zivkovic, Boston (2018)
- Projects, peer-reviewed group exhibition, from ACADIA 2018: Re/calibration: on Imprecision and Infidelity; Cobel Cabin by H.A.N.N.A.H, Leslie Lok and Sasa Zivkovic; Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, Mexico (2018)
- Digital Vernacular: Recent Work by H.A.N.N.A.H, invited group exhibition at International Union of Architects World Congress, curated by Jae K. Kim; by Leslie Lok and Sasa Zivkovic; COEX Convention Center, Seoul (2017)
- Zivkovic, Sasa, and Leslie Lok. "Cartesian Concrete Spiel: A Syntax of 3D Printing." In 2018 ACSA Fall Conference: Play with the Rules [Proceedings of the 2018 ACSA Fall Conference of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture (ACSA)], 2018.
- Battaglia, Christopher A., Martin F. Miller, and Sasa Zivkovic. "Sub-Additive 3D Printing of Optimized Double Curved Concrete Lattice Structures." Robotic Fabrication in Architecture, Art and Design 2018, 2018, 242–55.
- Zivkovic, Sasa, and Christopher Battaglia. "Open Source Factory: Democratizing Large-Scale Fabrication Systems." In ACADIA 2017: Disciplines and Disruption [Proceedings of the 37th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA)], 2017, 660–69.