J. Meejin Yoon
J. Meejin Yoon, AIA FAAR, is the Gale and Ira Drukier Dean at the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning (AAP) at Cornell University and cofounder of Höweler + Yoon, an award-winning design studio engaged in projects across the U.S. and around the world. An architect, designer, and educator, Yoon is committed to advancing pedagogy, research, and practice to expand new knowledge and imaginaries across fields and disciplines, and to bringing deep expertise to the urgent environmental and social challenges facing our cities and communities. At AAP, she is founding director of the Design Across Scales Lab, a creative think tank and platform for multi-scalar design research.
Yoon's own research examines intersections between architecture, urbanism, technology, and the public realm, and her professional projects and creative work include cultural buildings, public spaces, and memorials. Recently built projects include the Memorial to Enslaved Laborers at the University of Virginia, Sky Courts Exhibition Hall in Chengdu, China, and the Collier Memorial and MIT Museum at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Yoon's work has been exhibited in the U.S. and internationally at venues such as at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, the Smithsonian Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum in New York City, the Vitra Design Museum in Weil am Rhein, and the Venice Biennale, among others.
Yoon received a Bachelor of Architecture from Cornell University, and a Master of Architecture in Urban Design from the Harvard University Graduate School of Design. Before returning to Cornell in 2019, Yoon served as head of the Department of Architecture at MIT from 2014–2018, and as a faculty member for 17 years prior. In 2016, Yoon received the ACADIA Teaching Award of Excellence, and the Irwin Sizer Award for Most Significant Improvement to MIT Education in 2013. In 2021, she was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural practice
- Architectural technology
- Heroic Imaginations of the Future with J. Meejin Yoon
- Urbanization and The Challenge of Water Access
- Critical Technologies: Urban Tech for Social Impact
- UCLA Architecture and Urban Design Lecture Series
- M. Arthur "Art" Gensler Jr., 1935–2021
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Election to the American Academy of Arts and Letters (2021)
- American Academy of Arts and Letters Award (2019)
- New Generation Design Leadership Award from Architectural Record (2015)
- Audi Urban Futures Award (2012)
- United States Artist Award in Architecture and Design (2008)
- Rome Prize Fellowship in Design (2005)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1997)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- The Road Ahead: Reimagining Mobility, Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum, New York City, 2018
- Hello Robot, Vitra Design Museum, Weil am Rhein, Germany, 2017
- Cut 'n' Paste, Museum of Modern Art, New York City, 2013
- Spontaneous Interventions, Venice Biennale, Venice, 2012
- Design Life Now: 2006 National Design Triennial, The Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York City, 2006
- Skin and Bones: Parallel Practices in Fashion and Architecture, The Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, 2006
- Yoon, J. Meejin, and Eric Höweler Verify in Field: Projects and Conversations, Höweler and Yoon Architecture. Park Books, forthcoming 2021.
- Yoon, J. Meejin, and Eric Höweler. Expanded Practice: Höweler and Yoon Architecture/My Studio. Princeton Architectural Press, 2009.
- Yoon, J. Meejin, and Meredith Miller. Public Works: Unsolicited Small Projects for the Big Dig. Map Book Pub, 2008.
- Yoon, J. Meejin. Absence. Printed Matter and the Whitney Museum of Art, 2003.