J. Meejin Yoon
J. Meejin Yoon is the Gale and Ira Drukier Dean of the College of Architecture, Art, and Planning (AAP) at Cornell University and co-founding partner of the widely recognized design studio Höweler + Yoon. An architect, educator, and founder of the Design Across Scales Lab, Yoon is committed to advancing creative and critical practices and pedagogies, and to developing new knowledge and imaginaries that address the many urgent environmental and social challenges we face in our cities and communities.
Yoon's own design research examines intersections between architecture, urbanism, technology, and the public realm. Yoon's professional projects include cultural buildings and public spaces such as the Memorial to Enslaved Laborers at the University of Virginia, the MIT Museum at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and the Moongate Bridge in the Shanghai Expo Park. Current projects include the Designing Peace exhibition at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, the Institute of Democracy at UVA, and the Living Village at the Yale Divinity School.
Yoon's work has been widely exhibited both nationally and internationally at venues such as MoMA, the Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago, the Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, the Vitra Design Museum, and the National Art Center in Japan, among others. She is co-author of the recent title Verify in Field: Projects and Conversations Höweler + Yoon (Park Books, 2021) and Public Works: Unsolicited Small Projects for the Big Dig (Map Books, 2009); and author of Absence, an artist book published by Printed Matter and the Whitney Museum of Art in 2003.
Yoon received a Bachelor of Architecture from Cornell University (1995), and a Master of Architecture in Urban Design from the Harvard University Graduate School of Design (1997). In 2021, Yoon was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Letters in the field of architecture, the highest recognition of artistic merit in the United States.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural practice
- Architectural technology
- AAP Alumni Reception at AIA in Chicago
- AAP Building the Future
- SCHOOLWORK: Reimagining Pedagogy for an Evolving World
- Radical Collaboration Initiative Adds AI, Quantum, Design Tech
- Preston Thomas Memorial Symposium: Breaking Ground(s)
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Election to the American Academy of Arts and Letters (2021)
- American Academy of Arts and Letters Award (2019)
- New Generation Design Leadership Award from Architectural Record (2015)
- Audi Urban Futures Award (2012)
- United States Artist Award in Architecture and Design (2008)
- Rome Prize Fellowship in Design (2005)
- Fulbright Fellowship (1997)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- The Road Ahead: Reimagining Mobility, Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum, New York City, 2018
- Hello Robot, Vitra Design Museum, Weil am Rhein, Germany, 2017
- Cut 'n' Paste, Museum of Modern Art, New York City, 2013
- Spontaneous Interventions, Venice Biennale, Venice, 2012
- Design Life Now: 2006 National Design Triennial, The Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York City, 2006
- Skin and Bones: Parallel Practices in Fashion and Architecture, The Los Angeles Museum of Contemporary Art, 2006
- Yoon, J. Meejin, and Eric Höweler Verify in Field: Projects and Conversations, Höweler and Yoon Architecture. Park Books, forthcoming 2021.
- Yoon, J. Meejin, and Eric Höweler. Expanded Practice: Höweler and Yoon Architecture/My Studio. Princeton Architectural Press, 2009.
- Yoon, J. Meejin, and Meredith Miller. Public Works: Unsolicited Small Projects for the Big Dig. Map Book Pub, 2008.
- Yoon, J. Meejin. Absence. Printed Matter and the Whitney Museum of Art, 2003.