Active in both the academic field and a professional practice, Iñaqui Carnicero has been an associate professor of design at the School of Architecture, Polytechnic University of Madrid since 2000. A year after graduating, Carnicero earned his first commission through a competition for the construction of a university building in Madrid, which was accompanied by his participation in the 2000 Venice Architecture Biennale.
Carnicero has won several competitions and completed many projects, including CEU University, social housing, a high school, the restoration of an Arab tower, a district attorney's office in Madrid's City of Justice, a cultural multi-use center in a former slaughterhouse of Madrid, and the Pitch's house. He is cofounder of the architecture platform "Symmetries," relating Roman and contemporary procedures.
His Ph.D. dissertation focuses on Louis Kahn and Robert Venturi's discoveries in Rome regarding the perception of size in architecture.
- Venice Biennale Golden Lion Goes to Carnicero for Spanish Pavilion
- Iñaqui Carnicero Presents Architectural Interventions in India and New York City
- Carnicero to Cocurate Spanish Pavilion at the 2016 Venice Biennale
- Carnicero Leads Weeklong Workshop in Venice
- Carnicero Wins AIANY Housing Design Award
- ARCH 2101/2102 Second-Year Design StudioStudents develop an understanding of context and precedent in the construction of architectural form, and are introduced to contextual and programmatic densities in addition to circulatory, spatial, and organizational strategies in the design process.
- ARCH 3308/6308 Special Topics in Theory of ArchitectureThis course addresses pertinent issues relative to the subject of Theory of Architecture. The instructor(s) of the course are drawn from the permanent and visiting faculty who may either broadly or narrowly define the course's scope and content. For precise content please see the Architecture Department webpage .
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Rome Prize, Spanish Academy in Rome (2007)
- Design Vanguard Award, Architectural Record (2011)
- Selected Emerging Architecture Awards, Architectural Review (2011)
- Hauser Award (2012)
- Final stage, FAD Awards (2012)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- RIBA exhibition International Emerging Architects, London (2011)
- Architecture week in Prague International exhibition (2011)
- International 2012 Emerging Future, GA gallery, Japan (2012)
- "Ragusa's Secret," COAM magazine nº 359, Kahn y Venturi (April 2010)
- "A New Scale from Rome," 10 tesis en curso. AAVV. Editorial Mairea (2011)
- "Symmetries Manifesto," www.symmetries.es