Andrew Lucia is a designer, multimedia artist, and academic working across architecture, land art, installation, and image, and is a cofounding principal in the architecture and design practice LUCITO.
Prior to his current position as a Visiting Critic at Cornell University's College of Architecture, Art, and Planning (spring 2023), Lucia held the position of Visiting Critic at The University of Pennsylvania Weitzman School of Design (2019–2022); Visiting Scholar at the Azrieli School of Architecture and Urbanism, Carleton University (spring 2018); Visiting Lecturer and Critic at Cornell's AAP (2011–2015); and was faculty in Visual Studies at the University of Pennsylvania, School of Design (2008–2011).
From 2015–17 Lucia held the position of Cass Gilbert Visiting Assistant Professor in the School of Architecture, College of Design, University of Minnesota, during which he realized the extensive research and design project A Catalog of Difference. Lucia's works have been exhibited and performed internationally, including in San Francisco, New York, Venice, and Paris.
Lucia received his Master of Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania (2008) and his B.A. in Architecture from the University of Minnesota (2001).
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural installations
- Architectural practice
- Architectural representation
- Architectural technology
- Digital media
- Installation art
- Material practice
- Public art
- Technology and art
- Visual representation
- Visual representation
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/5115 Option Studio, City S[t]imulator with John Zissovici
- ARCH 1502 Representation II: Media of Representation I, Digital Media and the Constructed Environment
- ARCH 4509/6509 Special Topics in Visual Representation, Sound and Image
- ARCH 4509/6509 Special Topics in Visual Representation, Sympathy and Surface
- ARCH 5113 M.Arch. Core Design Studio 3 with Jenny Sabin
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Cass Gilbert Fellow (2015-17), School of Architecture, College of Design, University of Minnesota
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- A Catalog of Difference (mixed media) exhibited in DRAWBOT #2-Post Digital Drawing in Architecture and Art, AA[n+1] Gallery, Paris (with Young+Ayata). Curated by Emmanuelle Chiappone-Piriou and Leslie Ware; Usagi, New York; Goldstein Museum of Design, HGA Gallery, Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Artemisia (2019 real-time projection for live opera). Commissioned by Left Coast Chamber Ensemble. Laura Schwendinger, composer; Ginger Strand, libretto. World Premier for chamber ensemble at Zspace, San Francisco, California.
- Velocity Meadows, Five Dream Episodes for solo oboe, chamber winds, electronics, & video (projection for chamber orchestra). Christopher Stark, composition, 2017.
- Lucia, A. "Notes on a Catalog of Difference" in Proceedings of the Meta-Xenakis Global Symposium, New York, Paris, Athens, Mexico City, Tokyo (2022), Centre Iannis Xenakis Editions, forthcoming, 2023.
- Lucia, A. and Ito, I. "A Rake’s Progress and The Monument Against Time" in The Cornell Journal of Architecture; After, Val Warke, Todd Petrie, Hallie Black eds., Vol. 12, 108-119. Cornell AAP Publications, 2021.
- Lucia, A. w/ Sabin, J. & Jones, P. "Motility and the Observation of Change," chapter in LabStudio: Design Research Between Architecture & Biology, by Sabin & Jones eds., pp. 215-230, Routledge/Taylor and Francis, 2017.