This special minor has been formulated specifically for undergraduate students not enrolled in the Department of Architecture who are interested in complementing their current academic program with an introduction to various facets of architectural studies. Some students may wish to use the Minor in Architecture for Non-Majors as a means of investigating possible graduate studies in architecture. Some may wish to develop architectural specialties within other disciplines.
Students completing the requirements for this minor should fill out the Verification of Completion form which, when validated by the architecture department, serves as evidence of completion of the minor requirements. Students should consult their individual college registrars for information about whether their home college recognizes and notes such minors on transcripts or diplomas. The curriculum for students in the Minor in Architecture Program for Non-Majors totals a minimum of 15 credit hours. Grades must be C or better in all courses used for minor credit.
The distribution requirements for the minor are as follows:
- Architectural Design Studio (3 credits minimum)
- ARCH 1110 Introduction to Architecture Design Studio (summer only), 3 credits or
- ARCH 1103 Elective Design Studio (fall only, not every year), 6 credits or
- ARCH 1120 Architecture Design Studio (fall, Cornell in Rome) 4 credits
- Visual Representation (3 credits minimum)
- ARCH 1501 Representation I (fall only), 3 credits or
- ARCH 1502 Representation II (spring only), 3 credits or
- Approved visual representation elective course**
- Architectural History (3 credits minimum)
- ARCH 1801 History of Architecture I (fall only), 3 credits or
- ARCH 1802 History of Architecture II (spring only), 3 credits or
- Approved Architectural History elective course**
- Any other departmental courses* (2 courses minimum, 6 credits minimum)
**Not all departmental courses are available for non-majors. Not all available courses have space for non-majors every time they are offered.
Questions regarding the minor can be addressed in the architecture department office located in 139 East Sibley Hall or contact Rebecca Elliott, undergraduate program coordinator.
Fields marked with * are required.