Sydney Maubert is an architect, artist, muralist, scholar, and teacher. She directs Studio Maubert, an architectural, artistic, and scholarly practice exploring Black, Latin, Indigenous, and Fem modes of cultural and spatial production.
She holds post-professional and professional degrees in architecture from Yale (2022) and the University of Miami (2020), with double minors in writing and art. She is the founder of Sydney R. Maubert LLC, her art and mural practice. Studio Maubert is Maubert's interdisciplinary architectural, artistic, and scholarly practice researching questions at the intersection of architecture, geography, and policy — including urban morphologies and racialized habitation patterns in Miami and New York, and their intertwined legacies with colonialism and genocide. The work is largely animated by Black studies, decolonial studies, fugitive practice, history, and cultural geography.
A recipient of Cornell's Strauch Fellowship, she will teach and produce research (Fall 2022–ongoing) interested in questions surrounding housing, race, geography, and unruliness. She worked as an intern at Bernheimer Architecture (2021–22) and Trelles Cabarrocas (2018, 2019). She has received several awards including the Yale Moulton Andros Award (2022) and the University of Miami Alpha Rho Chi Award (2020).
Her writing can be found in Yale's Paprika! and she was published as an editorial research assistant to Dr. Victor Deupi in Transformations in Classical Architecture (2016–2018).
She assisted teaching courses with Dark Matter University, Yale University, CCNY, and Morgan State University under Jerome Haferd, Curry Hackett, and Justin G. Moore, as well as at the University of Miami's School of Architecture where she also worked in the Dean's Office (2015–2020).
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural representation
- Architectural theory
- Informal design
- Interdisciplinary art
- Planning history
- Public art
- Real estate development
- Urban morphologies
- Fugitive Practice
- Race and gender studies
- LOG 57: Black is . . . an' Black ain't . . .
- CCA Announces Spring 2023 Grantees
- Sydney Rose Maubert: Hymns From a Burning House — Haitian Dispossession
- 2023 AIRIE Fellows Announced
- Sydney Rose Maubert: Intimacies of the Walls
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Moulton Andros Award, Yale University School of Architecture, (2022)
- Alpha Rho Chi Medal, University of Miami School of Architecture, (2020)
- Lidia Bello Award, University of Miami School of Architecture (2019)
- Preston Award, University of Miami School of Architecture (2017)
- Foote Fellow Honor, University of Miami (2015–2020)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
"Intimacies of the Walls: Shotgun Morphologies" Thesis Exhibition (Yale University School of Architecture, 2022)
Syndicate Kava Bar Murals (Wynwood, Miami's Outdoor Museum, 2020, 2021)
Yale School of Architecture Murals (Spring 2021–Spring 2022)