Rubén Alcolea is involved both in academic and professional practice. He has been teaching in the School of Architecture at La Universidad de Navarra–Pamplona, Spain, since 2000, where he was vice dean for research and academic programs from 2009 to 2015.
Alcolea has been deeply involved in academia, in the editing of books and magazines, the production of exhibitions, and coordination of cultural activities and conferences. In 2000 he founded his own professional practice, alcolea+tárrago arquitectos. The firm's architectural work has been awarded in more than 20 national and international competitions, has been published in specialized magazines and books, and has received several architecture prizes for built work.
Alcolea graduated in 2000 from the School of Architecture at La Universidad de Navarra. He received his Ph.D. in 2005 with a dissertation focused on architecture and photography in early modernism.
- ARCH 3308/6308-102 Special Topics in Theory: Photography and Architecture
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Special Distinction, Spain National Award for architecture studies (2001)
- AJAC VI Prize for young architects, College of Architects Catalunya (2009)
- 40 Under 40 for Emerging Young Architects, Chicago Atheneum (2010)
- Sveta 2013 Prize, Hise Magazine, Ljubljana (2013)
- COAVN Prize, College of Architects of Navarra-Basque Country (2013)
- "Spectra: Architecture in transit," Architects' Journeys, GSAPP (2011)
- "Anonymous Manifestos: The eye of the architect," After the Manifesto, GSAPP (2014)
- The Pritzker Prize: The Acceptance speeches, Fundacion Arquia, Madrid (2015)