Naomi Frangos is an architect and principal of her own design-research practice operating at the intersection of architecture, art, technology, structure, and phenomenological thought. She was senior design architect for international award-winning firms and projects, including Montreal's Wilder Espace Danse at Lapointe Magne, which was nominated for a Mies Crown Hall Americas Prize in 2018; and also worked at Brian Mackay-Lyons, Saia Barbarese Topouzanov, and Tom Balaban, all published in Canadian Architect.
Frangos is cocurator of In Search of Contoured Playground, with Dakin Hart at The Noguchi Museum (August 2019–February 2020) to be featured in her book provisionally titled Scalar Play, for which she received a Design History Society Research Exhibition Grant. She has received other research-creation grants for projects studying variable interscalar systems of design and techno-poetic aspects of critical making.
Frangos has taught undergraduate and graduate studios and seminars at McGill University, Université de Montréal, Tyler School of Art and Architecture, and was associate professor and lectures and exhibitions coordinator at New York Institute of Technology (NYIT). She holds a post-professional M.Arch. in history and theory (awarded Provost Graduate Fellowship) and B.Arch. from McGill, and a professional diploma in welding/assembly.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural practice
- Architectural technology
- Architectural theory
- Analog and digital blended modalities of fabrication, tools and processes informed by material experiments in metal, concrete, and ceramics through casting and flexible and transformable molds
- Isamu Noguchi’s unrealised playground design revealed in New York
- Revisiting one of Isamu Noguchi’s most elusive designs: An NYC playground
- Trace Solids: Experiments with fabric form concrete on view at NYIT
- Dancing up a Form: Espace danse Wilder Building, Montreal, Quebec
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/7112 Option Studio: Coevolutionary ArchetypesAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
- ARCH 4509/6509-105 Visualization and Representation Elective: Urban FluxusThis course addresses pertinent issues relative to the subject of Visual Representation. The instructor(s) of the course are drawn from the permanent and visiting faculty who may either broadly or narrowly define the course's scope and content. For precise content please see the Architecture Department webpage .
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Design History Society Exhibition Research Grant: Scalar Play: In Search of Contoured Playground (2019)
- Institutional Support for Research and Creativity Grant (NYIT): Bio-Informed Structural Joint System Design: From Biological Morphologies to Variable Assemblies. Principal Investigator: Naomi Frangos (2018)
- School of Architecture and Design (NYIT) Design-Build Grant: Inhabiting Surface: Play-scapes for Learned Environments (2017)
- Institutional Support for Research and Creativity Grant (NYIT): Fabricating Intuitive Innovation in Digital Design. Principal Investigator: Naomi Frangos (2016)
- McGill University Provost Graduate Fellowship (2010)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- In Search of Contoured Playground, cocurated with senior curator Dakin Hart, The Noguchi Museum, New York City (2019–20)
- "Material Codes of an Analog Mind," (un)PROGRAMMING Computational Processes Symposium, NYIT, New York City (2019)
- "Generative Misbehavior at Play," Play with the Rules ACSA Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2018)
- Frangos, Naomi. Inhabiting Surface: Studies in Variable Formwork Design. Exhibition catalog, Center Gallery, NYIT. New York: Self-published, ISBN: 978-1-38-880024-6 (2018)
- Frangos, Naomi. "Modular Variable Flexible Formwork Design." International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures (IASS) "Creativity in Structural Design." Abbreviated Proceedings: Ed. By S. Adriaenssens and C. Mueller, p 252 (2018)
- Frangos, Naomi. "Sempering: To Craft A Detail, Or Not?" Journal of Architectural Education (2016)