Mauricio Pezo (born in 1973) is a Chilean architect, artist, and educator. Together with Sofía von Ellrichshausen, in 2002 he founded the art and architecture studio Pezo von Ellrichshausen, based in the southern Chilean city of Concepción. He has been a visiting professor at Harvard GSD, the IIT College of Architecture, and the curator of the Chilean Pavilion at the 2008 Venice Biennale of Architecture. Among other institutions, his work is part of the permanent collection at the Contemporary Art Museum in Santiago, Chile; the MoMA in New York City; and the Art Institute of Chicago. Pezo completed a master of architecture at the Universidad Catolica de Chile, and a degree in architecture at the Universidad del Bio-Bio. He has been awarded the Young Architect Prize by the Chilean Architects Association and the Regional Architect Prize by the Chilean government.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
Crossed production between art and architecture.
- Unexpected and Intense. INES Innovation Center by Pezo von Ellrichshausen
- Sean Canty: Spin-Offs
- Pan Scroll Zoom 4: Pezo Von Ellrichshausen
- Architecture and Art Alumni Complete New Casapoli Residency
- Pezo and von Ellrichshausen Join Architecture Faculty as Professors of the Practice
- ARCH 4101/4102 Design VIIAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- MCHP.emerge 2014–15, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago (2014)
- Regional Architecture Prize, Chilean Government, Bio-Bio Region (2014)
- Municipal Art Price, Concepción City Hall, Concepción (2013)
- Spotlight Award, Rice Design Alliance, Houston (2012)
- Young Architect Prize, Chilean Architects Association, Santiago (2006)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Reporting from the Front, 2016 Venice Biennale of Architecture
- Conceptions of Space, Museum of Modern Art, New York City (2014)
- Sensing Spaces, Royal Academy of Arts, London (2014)
- Naïve Intention. New York: Actar, 2018.
- Av Monographs 199: Pezo von Ellrichshausen—Geometric Abstraction. Madrid: Avisa, 2018
- Pezo von Ellrichshausen—Spatial Structure. Copenhagen: Arkitektur B, 2016