Founder and creative director of the Copenhagen-based architecture firm under her own name, Dorte Mandrup has 25 years of professional experience and a line of internationally recognized buildings to her name. Renowned for her artistic talent and expertise in solving complex problems, Mandrup designs with conceptual precision, contextual cohesion, and a method of explorative prototyping. Mandrup works hands-on with all projects and has design responsibility for the layout of every project in the studio.
Among other professional appointments, Mandrup has been a guest professor at an array of educational institutions, is a board member at Louisiana Museum of Modern Art, and was invited to exhibit at the main exhibition of the 2018 Venice Biennale of Architecture. Having originally studied sculpture and ceramics in the U.S., in 1991 Mandrup joined the Aarhus School of Architecture, Denmark.
Mandrup is the fall 2018 Strauch Visiting Critic in Sustainable Design. The Strauch Visiting Critic in Sustainable Design was established by Hans (B.Arch. '80) and Roger '78 Strauch to ensure that Cornell Department of Architecture students and faculty are supported in their efforts to advance research and innovative design solutions associated with consequences of global climate change.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- World Heritage sites
- Cultural and listed buildings
- Adaptive re-use
- ARCH 4101/4102 Design VIIAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Finn Juhl Architecture Award, Wilhelm Hansen Fund (2018)
- Green Good Design Award, the Chicago Athenaeum, the world's leading sustainable design awards (2017)
- The Danish National Bank, Honorary Award (Nationalbankens Hæderspris) (2016)
- The C. F. Hansen Medal, Dorte Mandrup-Poulsen. The C. F. Hansen Medal is the highest architectural honor given to Danish architects by the Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts (2008)
- Bauwelt Award (Bauwelt-Preis) (2003)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- 2018 Venice Biennale of Architecture, main exhibition at Arsenale, Conditions/project: The Icefiord Centre
- Drawing by Drawing, Center for Architecture (New York City) and Danish Architecture Centre (2012)
- Lisbon Architecture Triennale 2010, Portugal