Independent study courses in the Department of Art are offered on the Ithaca campus in the fall and spring semesters only. Students enroll for variable credit, for up to a maximum of 4 credits. Independent studio courses of 4 credits taken for a letter grade are applied as elective 3000-level studios. Independent studio courses of fewer than 4 credits and/or taken for an S/U grade are applied as free elective credit only. Enrollment in an independent study requires an approved Art Independent Study Form.
Independent Study Course Options
- ART 3091 Directed Readings in Art
- ART 3092 Independent Studio in Art
- ART 3093 Directed Research in Art
Eligibility requirements for enrolling in an independent study (independent studio, directed readings, directed research):*
- Successful completion of the 2000-level and one 3000-level studio in the studio practice area;
- A cumulative GPA of 2.7 or better required; and
- Enrollment in Ithaca during the fall or spring semester
*Out-of-department students may be exempt from these requirements at the discretion of the supervising professor.
Fields marked with * are required.