Computer Support and Services
AAP IT Solutions is located in 235 Sibley Dome, and provides limited support for a variety of hardware and software issues including free limited support for students, faculty, and staff. Please note, that the computer's owner is responsible for the cost of parts.
Services Provided Include:
- Troubleshoot and fix Windows/Mac OS problems
- Troubleshoot and repair laptop, desktop, and limited phones/tablets
- Custom PC consulting/building
There are standard black and white and color laser printers, and 10 wide-format plotters. AAP uses Cornell's Net-Print accounting program to manage and track all print jobs and user account balances.
- Sign up for Net-Print
- Check your account status
- Instructions on how to prepare and print your plot (PDF)
Color Printing Prices:
- 8-1/2" x 11" = $.30 per sheet (non-duplex printer)
- 11" x 17" = $.30 per sheet (non-duplex printer)
Black and White Printing Prices:
- 8-1/2" x 11" = $.10 per sheet (duplex not included)
- 11" x 17" = $.10 per sheet (duplex not included)
Milstein Hall/Sibley Hall
Heavyweight bond paper is preloaded at $15 per plot. Two additional Milstein Hall plotters are loaded with glossy and mylar (pl3 and pl4) at $20 per plot. Length is capped (printer limitation) at 100". Anything printed over 100" is at the user's own risk and will not be refunded.
Advanced Digital Media Services (ADMS)
All plotting must be done with a lab monitor present as billing is done through CornellCard or a preapproved check. Please check the schedule at the AAP IT Solutions counter for up-to-date hours of availability. Printing appointments may be scheduled online.
- Printing on the 4900: Paper can be purchased at the Cornell Store or at online stores such as Parrot Digigraphics. ADMS sells lustre and matte 17" rolls by the linear foot.
- Printing on the 9900: Prices are generated by the inch with a minimum of 6" (length). Paper is supplied and prints must be paid in full via CornellCard or personal check at time of pickup. Available papers include:
- Angelic Natural (heavy smooth fine art)
- Angelic Bright White (bright smooth fine art)
- Angelic Photo Matte
- Angelic Canvas
- Parrot Film
- Angelic Glossy Photo
- Angelic Luster Photo
AAP is equipped with several scanners located throughout the college.
- 42" sheet fed scanner (HP) in the scanning area off of Milstein Hall (please get approval from the IT Solutions Counter before scanning)
- Epson GT-15000 11" x 17" flatbed scanners, four in the scanning area off of Milstein Hall
- Epson Expression 10000xl 11" x 17" flatbed scanners with slide holders in the ADMS
AAP has dedicated B38 E. Sibley Hall as a documentation space. A Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18MP CMOS sensor equipped with a Canon EF 1740mm f/4L USM lens (super wide angle zoom lens, with UV filter) can be checked out of the AAP Equipment Cage for up to two hours. This box is also equipped with the key to the documentation space. Users who prefer to use their own camera may check out the key separately. The documentation room is equipped with two Scandles fluorescent fixtures with eight tubes 5300K (with four leaf barndoors and aluminum cone reflectors), and one Complete AutoPole Expan Kit Black 3 Roll setup with gray, white, and black backdrops.
Users must fill out the this form and agree to the terms to receive access to the space.
AAP has 20 Amazon Ec2 Clusters on reserve. Each of these remote instances is equipped with 88EC2 units (equivalent to approximately an 88ghz i7 machine), 64GB of RAM, 64bit Windows, Rhino 5, and Vray 1.5. Please follow the steps below to gain access to them.
- Ensure your project is ready to render (passes a 640 px x 480 px render check in fewer than 10 minutes).
- Zip all project materials and Cornell Dropbox them to your own net ID.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and instructions will be sent for login, including a username and password.
- On Windows, click start and type "Remote Desktop." On a Mac please download this document.
- After using the instance, please shut down the machine (unless instructed to do otherwise).
- Specific instructions will be sent with your scheduled confirmation.
The Cornell Store offers a variety of software at significantly reduced prices; see the list below. Please note that some links go to preferred third-party vendors.
- Auto Desk Suite (free educational version)
- Rhino 4 SR9 ($99)
- Adobe CS6 Standard ($199)
- Microsoft Office 2010/11 ($80)
- Windows 7 x64 OEM ($99)
- Arc GIS (Free to CRP GIS classes, leftovers on an as-needed basis)