Jonathan Ochshorn is a registered architect whose teaching specialties are in the areas of construction technology and structures. Prior to joining the faculty at Cornell in 1988, he taught at City College of New York while serving as associate director of the City College Architectural Center, a research center supplying technical assistance to community groups in New York City. Since 1976, he also has practiced architecture and urban design in New York and California. Ochshorn's academic background is in structural engineering (M.I.T.) and urban design (M.U.P., City College of New York), as well as architecture (B. Arch. '75, Cornell).
- Second Edition of Ochshorn's Structural Elements for Architects and Builders Published
- Ochshorn Publishes Article in International Journal of Design Education
- ARCH 2614/5614 Building Technology I: Materials and MethodsBuilding construction is examined from the following standpoints: life safety (including fire safety and zoning constraints on site planning); building service systems (plumbing, electrical, vertical transportation, security, fire protection); materials, sustainability, and life-cycle analysis; accessibility; technical documentation and outline specifications.
- ARCH 2615/5615 Building Technology II: Structural ElementsConcepts and procedures for the design, manufacture, and construction of structural components (e.g., walls, columns, beams, slabs) in steel, concrete, masonry, and timber.
- ARCH 4621 Sustainable Architecture: The Science and Politics of Green BuildingStudents will examine the five basic components of sustainable building design (site, water, energy, materials, and IEQ) from both a historical perspective and as implemented through the LEED/USGBC rating system, in each case comparing the issues raised by building and environmental science with the political context within which those issues are considered.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Fulbright Scholar Award, Tianjin University School of Architecture, Tianjin, China (fall 2016)
Design Abstraction and Building Construction, session topic for annual meeting of the ACSA (2009)
- Structural Elements for Architects and Builders, Second Edition (Common Ground Publishing, 2015)
- "Architecture's Dysfunctional Couple: Design and Technology at the Crossroads," The International Journal of Design Education 7, no. 4 (2014)
- "Determining the Average R-Value of Tapered Insulation," technical paper, ASHRAE Transactions 117, no. 1 (2011)