History of Architecture and Urban Development Degree Details
The History of Architecture and Urban Development (HAUD) program at Cornell offers a doctor of philosophy (Ph.D.), and represents a sophisticated blend of interdisciplinary research and scholarship. Projects, lectures, and publications produced within the HAUD program showcase the diverse range of topics and methodologies embraced by the field. The number and stature of awards, fellowships, and conference invitations HAUD students receive underscore the vitality of the program.
Recent HAUD Student Accomplishment Highlights
- HAUD Ph.D. Candidates Receive Awards, Grants, and Appointments
- Accolades and Honors for HAUD Ph.D. Candidates
- Dellaria Awarded Prestigious Mellon Centre Junior Fellowship
- Aslihan Günhan, "Gönç Palas Broşürü ve Postmodern Sentezler (Gonc Palas Brochure and Postmodern Synthesis)" Postmodern Ankara Dossier, Bülent Batuman ed., Solfasol, vol. 98. (March 2021)
- Gökhan Kodalak, "Lines, Tornadoes, and David Foster Wallace," Log 51 (Winter/Spring 2021): 172-82.
- Gökhan Kodalak, Special Editorial Section "Cosmoaesthetics" Log 52. (Summer 2021)
- Anna Mascorella, "Imagining a Great City: Denver, 1980-2020." The Colorado Magazine: 26-31. (Spring 2021)
- Ana Ozaki, "Urban Erasure and the Making Informal Activism: Morro do Castelo." Journal of Latin American Geographies, vol. 20, no. 1, University of Texas Press, 2021.
- Maria Luisa Palumbo, Architette di Resilienza,” in Architectural Exaptation Catalog of the Italian Pavilion Resilient Communities at the 2021 Venice Architecture Biennale, Rome: D Editore, 2021.
- Ecem Sarıçayır, "Rehearsing the Border: Politics of Spatiality in Contemporary Artworks in Kars and Ani, Turkey," in Pilav, A., Schoonderbeek, M., Sohn, H., Staničić, A., eds. Mediating the Spatiality of Conflicts, TU Delft Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment, BK Books. (2021)
- Geolas, Athanasiou. "Manner of Working: Robin Evans, the Drawing, and a Theory of Practice." In The Artful Plan: Architectural Drawing Reconfigured, edited by Martin Søberg and Anna Hougaard. Birkhäuser, pp. 52-71. (2020)
- Hossain, Labib. "A Critical Reading of Dry and Permanent Grounds Through the Practice of Muslin Weaving" in Monsoon Assemblages: Monsoon [+ Other] Grounds, edited by Lindsay Bremner, London: University of Westminster, pp. 113-120. (2020)
- Moynihan, Michael. "Interrogating Architectural Evidence: Eyal Weizman and Rafi Segal’s Exhibition for the Isreali Association of United Architects" Bitacora Arquitectura 44, 4-17. (2020)
- Ozaki, Ana. (forthcoming 2021) "Afro-Brazilian Lenses: "Quilombola" Urbanism." In Decolonizing the Spatial History of the Americas, edited by Fernando Lara. Center 24. Austin: Center for American Architecture and Design at the School of Architecture, University of Texas at Austin, USA.
- Palumbo, Marialuisa. "Cities, Democracy and the 99 percent." In The Century of Global Cities. How Urbanisation Is Changing the World and Shaping our Future, edited by Tobia Zevi, Milan: Ledizioni, pp. 123-145. (2019)
- Palumbo, Marialuisa (ed). Rigenerare con gli abitanti. Costruire comunità, Rome: Aracne. (2020)
- Gökhan Kodalak. "Spinoza, Hierarchical Ontology, and Affective Architecture." In Spinoza's Philosophy of Ratio, edited by Beth Lord. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2018.
Anna Mascorella. "Reinterpreting Fascist Built Heritage: The Reuse of Rome's Foro Mussolini." In Routledge Companion to Global Heritage Conservation, edited by Vinayak Bharne and Trudi Sandmeier, 409-425. London and New York: Routledge, 2019.
- Athnasiou Geolas, "Formally Rigid, But Technically Charming: Architects and Professional Etiquette c.1916," European Architectural History Network, 6th International Conference. June 2021.
- Athnasiou Geolas, "Haraway's Implosion Method: Architectural Taxidermy in the Seminar Room," Fielding Architecture: Feminist Practices for a Decolonised Pedagogy, 4th International Symposium on Architecture and Gender, University of Brighton, June 2021.
- Aslihan Günhan, "Ecologies of Displacement: Forced Migration, Dispossession and Decay in Upper Euphrates," EAHN Thematic Conference "Architecture and Endurance," September 2021.
- Aslihan Günhan, "Politics of Architectural Detail: Understanding Nişan Yaubyan’s Architecture," The Chamber of Architects of Turkey, Nişan Yaubyan Mimar Sinan Award Ceremony, May 2021.
- Aslihan Günhan, Co-Chair, "Global Modernisms Panel," Society of Architectural Historians Annual Conference, Graduate Student Lightning Talks, April 2021.
- Gökhan Kodalak, "Nature-Architecture Continuum: Heterarchy of Buildings, Plants, Animals, and Human Beings" and "Spinoza and Architecture: The Untapped Potentials of a Missed Encounter," TU Delft Department of Architecture, April 2021.
- Gökhan Kodalak, "Design Dialogues." Bilgi University, May 2021.
- Anna Mascorella, "Confronting the Baroque in Fascist Rome: Santa Rita da Cascia," Society of Architectural Historians Annual Conference, Open Session, April 2021.
- Michael Moynihan and Ana Ozaki, co chairs, "History of Architecture and Urbanism Symposium: Politics of Building a Climate Crisis" Cornell University, April 2021.
- Ana Ozaki, "Luso-Tropical Architecture: Brazil’s Modernism in Angola." Society of Architectural Historians Annual Conference, April 2021.
- Ana Ozaki, "South Centralities: Brazil’s Lusotropicalist Architecture." 2021 Buell Dissertation Colloquium, Columbia University, New York. May 2021.
- Maria Luisa Palumbo, Chair, "Europe, a Resilient Community? Critical Practices across the Mediterranean Border," Italian Pavilion at the 17. International Exhibition of Architecture at La Biennale di Venezia, 23 May 2021.
- Maria Luisa Palumbo, Chair, "Ecoweek: Towards Intersectional Justice. Unbuilding structures of oppression. Making space for inclusive, empowering and reparative practices," Ecoweek NGO, 16-17 January 2021.
- Ecem Sarıçayır, "Experiments and Enemies of Openness: The Case of Frank van Klingeren (Netherlands) and the Question of Authorship" European Architectural History Network Annual Conference, June 2021.
- Ecem Sarıçayır, "Architecture in Transition: Imaginations of the South Caucasus at the Turn of the Century," The Society of Architectural Historians Annual Conference, April 2021.
- Asya Ece Uzmay, "The 1970 Cholera Epidemic in Sağmalıclar: Unveiling the Entangled Water Relations in Istanbul," Istanbul Unbound: Environmental Approaches to the City, Istanbul Research Institute and Pera Museum, April 2021.
- Labib Hossain, "Modern Water: Colonial Legacy of Land-water Separation in South Asia", Resilient Urban Environment, organized by Institute of Architects Bangladesh and Bangladesh Institute of Planners, Webinar, October 9, 2020.
- Labib Hossain, "Colonial Representation of Muslin Weaving Practice and the Marginalized Dimensions", Decolonizing Heritage Exhibition, organized by Society of Architectural and Urban Historians of Asia (SAUH-Asia), Online Symposium, August 29, 2020.
- Aslihan Gunhan (Co-Chair), "Graduate Student Lightning Talks," Society of Architectural Historians (SAH) Annual International Conference, Virtual Symposium, April 29 - May 3, 2020.
- Michael Moynihan, "Systems Everywhere," Divergence in Architectural Research, Ph.D. Symposium, Georgia Tech, March 4-5, 2020.
- Ana Ozaki. "Afro-Brazilian "Quilombola" Urbanism: The Spatial Production of Pequena Africa in Rio de Janeiro," Decolonizing the Spatial History of the Americas, Austin, February 10-11, 2020.
- Athanasiou Geolas. "Not at the Dinner Table: Re-narrating the New York Architect, c. 1916." "Temporalities, Processes, and Relations in Architectural Research," Architectural Humanities Research Association Ph.D. Student Symposium 2019, Manchester, U.K., April 25, 2019.
- Aslihan Gunhan. "Microhistories of Negotiating the Armenian Heritage in Modern Turkey." Graduate lightning talk at Society of Architectural Historians Annual Conference, Providence, Rhode Island, April 24–28, 2019.
- Labib Hossain. "A Critical Reading of the Dry and Permanent Ground Through the Practice of Muslin Weaving." Monsoon Assemblages: Monsoon [and Other] Grounds Conference, University of Westminster, London, March 22–23, 2019.
- Athanasiou Geolas with Amanda Joyce Denham, Cornell Costume and Textile Collection; and Associate Professor Andrea Stevenson Won, Department of Communications. "Witchcraft and Photoshop: Teaching Representation through Fashion and Manuscript Exhibitions." International Textile and Apparel Association Annual Conference, Cleveland, November 6–9, 2018.
- Aslihan Gunhan. "'Malign' Houses, 'Benign' Museums: A Critical Biography of an Armenian Mansion in Istanbul." Middle East Studies Association Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, November 15–18, 2018.
- Labib Hossain. "Ground of Wetness Through the Practice of Muslin Making." Tradition/Transformation? Craft, Practice and Discourse conference, Department of Fine Arts, Jaffna University and Sri Lanka Archive of Contemporary Art, Architecture and Design, Jaffna, Sri Lanka, May 10, 2018.
- Sergio Preston. "Lives Sacrificed to a Beautiful Building: The Early Years of Sage College, Housing Coeducation and a Reversal of Spatial Autonomy." Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture, Milwaukee, October 11–13, 2018.
Awards, Grants, Fellowships
- Salvatore Dellaria, Cornell Luigi Einaudi Graduate Fellowship
- Athnasiou Geolas, Charlotte A. Jirousek Research Fellowship, Cornell Fashion + Textile Collection
- Aslihan Günhan, Getty Research Institute Residential Predoctoral Fellowship
- Aslihan Günhan, SALT Research Fund
- Gökhan Kodalak, Theories of Architecture Fellowship · TU Delft Department of Architecture.
- Anna Mascorella, Society of Architectural Historians Annual Conference Independent Scholar Fellowship
- Michael Moynihan, Michelle Sicca Research Grant, Cornell Institute of European Studies
- Michael Moynihan, Knight Award for Writing Exercises, Cornell John S. Knight Institute,
- Ana Ozaki, Global Architectural History Teaching Fellowship
- Ecem Sarıçayır, Arizona State University, The Melikian Center Russian, Eurasian and East European Studies Award for Critical Languages Institute
- Ecem Sarıçayır, Graduate Research Fellowship, Cornell Institute for European Studies
- Ecem Sarıçayır, Scott Opler Graduate Student Fellowship, Society of Architectural Historians,
- Asya Ece Uzmay, Gill Family Foundation Graduate Student Support, Society of Architectural Historians
- Priyanka Sen, Cornell Migrations Summer Institute Fellowship
- Athanasiou Geolas. Society for the Humanities Dissertation Writing Group, Cornell University
- Aslihan Gunhan. Einaudi Center International Research Travel Grant, Cornell University; Helen O. and Stephen Jacobs Fund, Cornell University
- Labib Hossain. Helen O. and Stephen Jacobs Fund, Cornell University
- Eun-Jeong Kim. A. Henry Detweiler Scholarship Fund, Cornell University
- Anna Mascorella. A. Henry Detweiler Fund Traveling Fellowship, Department of Architecture, Cornell University
- Ana Ozaki. Einaudi Institute for European Studies Michele Sicca Research Grant, Cornell University; Einaudi Latin American Studies Program Graduate Student Summer Research Grant, Cornell University; Robert D. and Bonnie G. MacDougall Memorial Scholarship, Cornell University; A. Henry Detweiler Scholarship Fund, Cornell University
- Sergio Preston. A. Henry Detweiler Scholarship Fund, Cornell University; Society for the Humanities Dissertation Writing Group, Cornell University
- Ecem Sarıçayır. Graduate Travel Grant for University of Illinois' Russian, East European, and Eurasian Center Summer Research Laboratory
- Athanasiou Geolas. Charlotte A. Jirousek Research Fellow, Cornell Costume and Textile Collection, Cornell University
- Aslihan Gunhan. Mellon International Dissertation Research Fellowship, Social Sciences Research Council
- Labib Hossain. Sage Fellowship, Cornell University
- Eun-Jeong Kim. Mellon Collaborative Studies in Architecture, Urbanism, and the Humanities Fellowship, Cornell University
- Michael Moynihan. Canadian Centre for Architecture Doctoral Students Program
- Ana Ozaki. Canadian Centre for Architecture Doctoral Students Program; Einaudi-SSRC Dissertation Proposal Development Program, Cornell University
- Aslihan Gunhan. Cornell Institute for European Studies, Sidney Tarrow Best Paper Award for "'Malign' Houses, 'Benign' Museums: Biography of the Azaryan Mansion"
- Labib Hossain. Sage Fellowship, Cornell University
- Aslihan Gunhan. Helen O. and Stephen Jacobs Fund, Cornell University
- Labib Hossain. Robert D. And Bonnie G. MacDougall Memorial Scholarship, Cornell University; Mario Einaudi Research Travel Grant, Cornell University; Graduate Conference Grant, Cornell University; South Asia Program Research Travel Grant, Cornell University
- Anna Mascorella. Dissertation Research Grant, Italian Art Society; Timothy Murray Graduate Travel Grant, Society for the Humanities, Cornell University; Research Travel Grant, Graduate School, Cornell University; Robert D. and Bonnie G. MacDougall Memorial Scholarship, Department of Architecture, Cornell University
- Michael Moynihan. Institute of Comparative Modernities Reading Group Grant, Cornell University
- Ana Ozaki. Institute of Comparative Modernities Reading Group Grant, Cornell University
- Sergio Preston. Media Studies Graduate Working Group, Cornell University
- Ecem Sarıçayır. Robert D. and Bonnie G. MacDougall Memorial Scholarship, Cornell University; A. Henry Detweiler Scholarship Fund, Cornell University
- Ana Ozaki. Mellon Collaborative Studies in Architecture, Urbanism, and the Humanities Fellowship, Cornell University; Latin American Studies Program Graduate Fellowship, Cornell University
- Michael Moynihan. Mellon Collaborative Studies in Architecture, Urbanism, and the Humanities Fellowship, Cornell University
- Athnasiou Geolas, "Standards for a New Womanhood: Gender, Race, and Expertise," Cornell Fashion + Textile Collection, Ithaca, NY (07 December 2020–26 February 2021); Cornell University Library
- Anna Mascorella, "Building Denver: Visions of the Capital City," History Colorado Center, Denver. (2021)
- Liz Muller, Voices from the Great Hall (New York: The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art. (Summer 2021)
- Tell Me About Your Archive, exhibition in L. P. Kwee Studios' wood floor, organized by Samia Henni, with B.Arch, M.Arch., and Ph.D. students for ARCH 6805 Practicum: Tell Me About Your Archives. Interviews with Maristella Casciato, Beatriz Colomina, Zeynep Çelik, Janina Gossaye, Mary McLeod, Ann Laura Stoler, Anthony Vidler, and Dell Upton; Cornell University