Felix Heisel is an architect and academic working towards the systematic redesign of our built environment as resource storage in an endless cycle of use and reconfiguration. At Cornell University, he holds the position of Assistant Professor in the field of Architecture and Circular Construction. He is also partner at 2hs architects and engineers, Germany, an office specialized in the development of circular prototypologies. For his work, Heisel received several awards and published various books and articles, including Addis Ababa: A Manifesto on African Progress with Hebel, Wisniewska and Nash (Ruby Press, 2019), Cultivated Building Materials with Hebel (Birkhäuser, 2017), Lessons of Informality with Kifle (Birkhäuser, 2016) and Building from Waste with Hebel and Wisniewska (Birkhäuser, 2014).
Heisel graduated from the Berlin University of the Arts and has been teaching and researching at universities around the world, including the Berlage Institute; the Ethiopian Institute of Architecture, Building Construction, and City Developments; ETH Zürich, both in Switzerland and Singapore; and Harvard GSD.
- Architecture Announces the Hiring of Felix Heisel
- Wasted: Trash Talks: Design for the End of Material as We Know It
- Option Studio: Cyclo: Architectures of Waste
- Felix Heisel: Rethinking Abundance: Resource-Adequate Building, and the Example of UMAR
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/7912 Option StudioAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Beyond bauhaus – prototyping the future (2019)
- MaterialPREIS (2019)
- Zumbotel Group Award (2014)
- Bauhaus.SOLAR Award (2012)
- National German Merit Foundation (since 2010)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Beyond Mining – Urban Growth, at the Seoul Biennale of Architecture and Urbanism, South Korea (2017)
- Daring Growth, at the 2016 Venice Biennale of Architecture, Italy (2016)
- Waste Vault, at the IdeasCity Festival, New Museum, New York City, USA (2015)
- Felix Heisel. “Reuse and Recycling: Materializing a Circular Economy.” In The Materials Book, edited by Ilka Ruby and Andreas Ruby, 156–60. Berlin, Germany: Ruby Press (2020).
- Felix Heisel and Sabine Rau-Oberhuber. Calculation and Evaluation of Circularity Indicators for the Built Environment Using the Case Studies of UMAR and Madaster. Journal of Cleaner Production 243 (SI Urban Mining): 118482 (2019).
- Felix Heisel and Dirk E. Hebel. Pioneering Construction Materials through Prototypological Research. Biomimetics 4 (SI Proto-Architecture and Unconventional Biomaterials): 56 (2019).