Welcome New B.Arch. Students
Fall 2019 B.Arch. Student Schedule
All first-year B.Arch. students will enroll in the following classes, totaling 18 academic credits (plus 1 non-academic physical education credit), in the fall semester:
- ARCH 1101 Design IIntroduction to design as a conceptual discipline directed at the analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and transformation of the physical environment. Exercises are aimed at developing an understanding of the issues, elements, and processes of environmental design. (6 credits)
- ARCH 1501 Representation I: Freehand Architectural DrawingIntroduction to freehand drawing as an analytical tool within the design process. (3 credits)
- ARCH 1611 Environmental Systems IThis course examines the relationships between building, site, landscape and sustainability through the lens of ecology and systems thinking. Topics include: basic concepts of sustainability, energetic processes, climate, spatial data visualization, global warming, solar geometry, landscape processes, microclimates, site strategies and grading, building footprint & sustainable building metrics. (3 credits)
- ARCH 1801 History of Architecture I The history of the built environment as social and cultural expression from the earliest to more recent times. Themes, theories, and ideas in architecture and urban design are explored, beginning with the earliest written records.(3 credits)
- Out-of-Department Elective (First-Year Writing Seminar recommended) (3 credits)
- Physical Education (1 non-academic credit)
Course Enrollment Procedures
Required architecture courses: AAP's Office of Student Services will enroll all B.Arch. students in required architecture courses (ARCH 1101, 1501, 1611, and 1801) by July 1. After that date, students can review their schedule of required courses in Student Center.
Out-of-Department Elective (First-Year Writing Seminar recommended): B.Arch. students are required to complete one First-Year Writing Seminar (FWS) in the first year of study, and it is suggested that this requirement be completed in the first semester. Students enroll in their FWS through a ballot process. Ballots can be submitted from Monday, July 8, through Tuesday, July 16, using the FWS ballot page. Additional information is available at the Knight Institute for Writing in the Disciplines. Be sure to ballot for seminars that do not conflict with required courses.
Physical Education (PE): All Cornell students are required to complete two PE courses in the first year of study. Students will enroll in PE using Student Center from Monday, July 8, through Tuesday, July 16. A complete listing of PE classes is available in the fall 2019 course and time roster. Be sure to enroll in a PE class that does not conflict with required courses or FWS.
How to enroll in classes:
Step-by-step enrollment instructions, including tutorials, are available online. Please review this information before the enrollment period begins.