Sarosh Anklesaria (M.Arch. '10) is an architect and educator. He runs an independent design research practice based in New York and Ahmedabad. He is the recipient of the 2019 Richard Rogers fellowship from Harvard University and the 2019 Art Omi residency. He has worked as a senior architect on The Shed at Hudson Yards with Diller Scofidio and Renfro, New York City; on the Kolkata Museum of Modern Art with Herzog and de Meuron, Basel, Switzerland; and the office of Balkrishna Doshi in Ahmedabad, India. In addition to teaching at Cornell, he has taught architecture at The Pratt Institute and Syracuse University.
Anklesaria received a diploma in architecture from CEPT University, Ahmedabad, and a post-professional Master of Architecture from Cornell University. He has been a member of the Architecture and Design panel at NYSCA and was co-founder of Anthill Design. His work with the artist Vasudha Thozhur has been exhibited at the Kunst museum in Berne.
- ARCH 3308 Special Topics in the Theory of Architecture IThis course addresses pertinent issues relative to the subject of Theory of Architecture. The instructor(s) of the course are drawn from the permanent and visiting faculty who may either broadly or narrowly define the course's scope and content. For precise content please see the Architecture Department webpage .
- ARCH 5115 Core Design Studios V: Expanded PracticesThese studios use an expanded form of design practice to address meta-issues in global urbanism. They recognize that architectural production is becoming increasingly heterogeneous and networked, and that real-world projects are seldom defined by site boundaries, or the work of a single profession. On-site design research and speculation are used to situate projects within larger social, political and environmental systems, creatively engage the perspectives of other actors shaping the built environment, and opportunistically orchestrate real world processes and interactions.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Richard Rogers Fellowship, Harvard University (2019)
- Art Omi Architecture Residency, Ghent, New York (2019)
- NDTV-Grohe National Award: Structural Design of the Year, Mumbai (2015)
- One Prize Competition Semifinalist, (with Stephen Wong), New York City (2011)
- Telluride Association Resident Scholar, Ithaca (2007)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- "When is Space: Conversations on Contemporary Architecture in India," Jawahar Kala Kendra, Bhopal (2018)
- "Currents in Indian Architecture," the Preston Thomas Memorial Symposium, Cornell University, Ithaca (2016)
- "An Architecture of Place in an Age of Placelessness." The Architects Newspaper, March 2018.
- "Anthill Design, Pavilion." Domusweb, April 2014.
- "Pavilion of Incremental Form, Anthill Design." Indian Architect and Builder, March 2014.