Ryan Otterson is an architect focused on issues of the building envelope and contemporary construction layers and assemblies. Otterson is interested in issues of climate as a generator for innovation in architecture, in the realms of both construction/technology, and in geographic/climatic specificity of architectural types.
Otterson has spent five years working at Behnisch Architekten on various projects in the U.S. and Europe. Since 2015 his personal work with Ji/Otterson studio has also included various international competitions.
He earned his master of architecture degree with distinction from Harvard GSD and a master of architecture from the University of Kansas, earning the Thayer Medal for Design.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Architectural design
- Architectural practice
- Architectural technology
- ARCH 4605/6605 Special Topics in Building Technology: Exploring the Building EnvelopeThis course addresses pertinent issues relative to the subject of Construction. The instructor(s) of the course are drawn from the permanent and visiting faculty who may either broadly or narrowly define the course's scope and content. For precise content please see the Architecture Department webpage .
- ARCH 4101/4102/5101/5116/7113 The College of ClimaticismAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- AIA St. Louis Becker Scholarship (2013)
- Thayer Medal for Design, Kansas (2012)
- AIA St. Louis Ranft Scholarship (2010/2011)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- GSD AECOM Project on China: Common Framework, Xiamen Studio, Tongji University, Shanghai, China (2020) Housing China exhibition, Hong Kong University Department of Architecture, work included as part of a studio-wide research project (2020)
- "Light and Color in the work of Behnisch Architekten," lecture for Hi-Lecture Series hosted by Haenglim Architects, Seoul, South Korea (2019)
- "The Work of Behnisch Architekten," lecture for Hi-Lecture Series hosted by Haenglim Architects, Seoul, South Korea (2017)