Nicholas Muellner is a Los Angeles-based artist and writer. His five published books include Lacuna Park: Essays and Other Adventures in Photography, The Amnesia Pavilions, and In Most Tides an Island, which was shortlisted for the Aperture/Paris Photo Photobook Award and selected as an outstanding book of the year by Artforum. In addition to solo exhibitions in the U.S. and Europe, his writings have been published by MACK, Aperture, Radius, Triple Canopy, Routledge, and others. Muellner has performed slide lectures internationally, including at MoMA P.S.1, the Carnegie Museum, The Photographers Gallery, and the Museum of Contemporary Photography. His work has been supported by the 2018 Guggenheim Fellowship in Photography, the John Gutmann Fellowship, and residencies at the MacDowell and Yaddo Colonies, among others. Muellner received a B.A. in comparative literature from Yale University and an M.F.A. from Temple University. He is a founding codirector of the Image Text M.F.A. and ITI Press.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Collaborative practice
- Digital media
- Interdisciplinary art
- Print media
- Image Text M.F.A. Virtual Information Sessions
- AAP Department of Art Announces Unique New Image Text M.F.A.
- Nicholas Muellner: Welcome to Club Scenario
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- John Simon Guggenheim Fellowship in Photography (2018)
- The John Gutmann Photography Fellowship Award (2017)
- Yaddo Colony Fellowship in Visual Arts (2017, 2014)
- Paris Photo Aperture Foundation Photobook of the Year Award – Shortlist (2018)
- Residency Fellowship, National Center for Contemporary Art, Saint Petersburg, Russia (2014)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Our Mutual Friend, solo exhibition at the Kathleen O. Ellis Gallery, Lightwork, Syracuse, NY (2023)
- In Most Tides an Island, solo exhibition at the Alice Austen House Museum, New York, NY (2018)
- In Most Tides an Island, solo exhibition at the Eli March Gallery, Amherst College, Amherst, MA (2017)
- Muellner, Nicholas. Lacuna Park: Essays and other Adventures in Photography. London: SPBH Editions, 2019. Images and texts by Nicholas Muellner.
- Muellner, Nicholas. In Most Tides an Island. London: SPBH Editions, 2017. Images and text by Nicholas Muellner.
- Muellner, Nicholas. The Amnesia Pavilions. Ithaca: A-Jump Books, 2011. Images and text by Nicholas Muellner.