Nancy Brooks's research centers on policy-oriented theoretical and empirical microeconomics with a focus on environmental and urban/regional economics. Her research has a multidisciplinary focus that overlaps with geography, regional science, and sociology. A common thread that weaves through her work is the investigation of the implications for both equity and efficiency of the market failure typically known as an externality.
Brooks received a B.A. in economics from the College of William and Mary and a Ph.D. in economics from the University of Pennsylvania.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Economic development
- Regional science
- Environmental policy and planning
- Spatial analytics
- Urban economics
- Location theory
- CRP 5122 Intermediate Microeconomics for Public Affairs
- CRP 5450 Inferential Statistics for Planning and Public Policy
- CRP 5040/4040 Urban EconomicsThis course introduces the concepts and methods used by economists to study not only cities, regions and their relationships with each other, but, more generally, the spatial aspects and outcomes of decision-making by households and firms. Areas examined include determinants of urban growth and decline, land and housing markets, transportation issues, segregation and poverty, and the allocation and distribution of urban public services.
- Brooks, Nancy, Kieran Donaghy, and Gerrit-Jan Knaap. The Oxford Handbook of Urban Economics and Planning. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012.
- Brooks, Nancy, and Richard Schramm. "Integrating Economics Research, Education, and Service." The Journal of Economic Education 38, no. 1 (2007), 36-43.
- Brooks, Nancy, and Rajiv Sethi. "The Distribution of Pollution: Community Characteristics and Exposure to Air Toxics." Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 32, no. 2 (1997), 233-250.
- Brooks, Nancy. "The effects of community characteristics on community social behavior." Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 44, no. 3 (2001), 249-267.
- Brooks, Nancy, and Stephanie Segunio. "Racial/Ethnic Disparities in Traffic Stops: Analysis of Vermont State Police Data." (2016)