Joanna Malinowska works mainly in sculpture, video, and performance. Her projects — often inspired by interest in cultural clashes, anthropology, prehistory, and music — have been exhibited nationally and internationally, at venues such as the Sculpture Center and CANADA in New York City; Espace Culturel Louis Vuitton in Paris; Saatchi Gallery and Nottingham Contemporary in Great Britain; Yokohama Museum of Art in Japan; and Zachęta — National Gallery of Art in Warsaw. She was included in the 2012 Whitney Biennial, and the 56th Venice Biennale (2015).
A graduate of the sculpture departments at Rutgers University and Yale School of Art, Malinowska has received awards from the John Simon Guggenheim Foundation and the Pollock-Krasner Foundation, among others. She is represented by CANADA gallery in New York City. Malinowska frequently collaborates with her partner C. T. Jasper, most recently creating The Emperor's Canary, a project commissioned by the High Line park in New York City.
- Log Knot, The Emperor's Canary, and Todd: AAP Faculty and Student Work in the 2018 CCA Biennial
- Joanna Malinowska and C. T. Jasper: The Emperor's Canary
- Joanna Malinowska: Artist Talk
- Malinowska Hired for Sculpture and Drawing
- ART 2401 Introduction to SculptureThis course introduces students to artistic practice in three dimensions using a variety of materials and approaches. Problems require the student to address materials in terms of cultural and historical context. Assumes no prior knowledge of sculpture.
- ART 2501 Introduction to DrawingThis course provides students entering the B.F.A. program a gateway to contemporary art practice through drawing. Drawing here is conceived both as a self-sufficient medium and as a tool useful for the conceptual and practical development of ideas in other media. A wide range of technically and conceptually conceived assignments will introduce students to the breadth of contemporary practice and drawing itself.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Pollock-Krasner Foundation (2013)
- Polish Ministry of Culture and National Heritage (2013)
- New York Foundation for the Arts Fellowship (sculpture) (2011)
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Fellowship (2009)
- Smack Mellon Grant and Studio Program (2008)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Not a Metaphorical Forest, CANADA Gallery, New York City (2017)
- Mutations (in collaboration with C. T. Jasper), the High Line, New York City (2017)
- Halka/Haiti 18°48'05"N 72°23'01"W (in collaboration with C. T. Jasper), the Polish Pavilion at the 56th Venice Biennale, Venice (2015)
- Magdalena Moskalewicz et al., Halka/Haiti 18°48'05"N 72°23'01"W (Warsaw: Inventory Press and Zachęta National Gallery of Art, 2015)
- Michał Jachuła et al., Relations Disrelations (Łódź: ms1, 2015)
- Takashi Murakami, Takashi Murakami's Super Flat Collection (Yokohama: Kaikai Kiki Co., 2016)