João Almeida has collaborated on architectural projects with Paulo David since 2008 in roles ranging from project management to architectural design. He creates and designs architectural models, and assists in the production, development, and organization of exhibitions with a special focus on the management of Paulo David's participation in the 15th Venice Biennale of Architecture. Born in Funchal, Portugal, in 1984, he finished his studies at Faculdade de Arquitectura da Universidade do Porto in 2009.
In addition to his career as an architect, since 2007 he has been carrying out research, documentation, and publishing activities on Madeira's local heritage and geography. He places an emphasis on vernacular constructions made out of stone in order to understand the relationship between vernacularly built elements in his native territory and gain valuable lessons and constructive solutions that might be applied in future areas of research.
- ARCH 4509/6509: Wax: Models and Drawings
- Student Proposals Are Challenged by the Elements on Madeira Island
- ARCH 2101/2102 Second Year B.Arch.Design StudioStudents develop an understanding of context and precedent in the construction of architectural form, and are introduced to contextual and programmatic densities in addition to circulatory, spatial, and organizational strategies in the design process.
- ARCH 4101/4012/4103/5101/5116/8913 Option StudioAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
- ARCH 4509/6509 Special Topics in Visual Representation: Architectural ModelsThis course addresses pertinent issues relative to the subject of Visual Representation. The instructor(s) of the course are drawn from the permanent and visiting faculty who may either broadly or narrowly define the course's scope and content. For precise content please see the Architecture Department webpage .
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Honorable mention on Amateur-Deeper Perspective Category of the 2015's International Photography Awards (2015)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Wax: Models and Drawings, exhibition with Hélder Folgado, Cornell University, Department of Architecture (2017)
- Architectural Models, exhibition, Cornell University, Department of Architecture (2017)
- Final academic project featured in the annual university Selected Works exhibition (2008)
- "Estruturas Pétreas na Madeira," Islenha Magazine, Direção Regional dos Assuntos Culturais da Madeira (2013)
- META, 10 Pavilions for Chile Book (featured project as Paulo David collaborator) Pezo von Ellrichshausen, Chile (2011)
- Arquitectura de Pedra e na Pedra, e-book for CEHA (2010)
- "Geopoétia da Paisagem," Fundamentos Magazine from Colegio Oficial de Arquitectos de Madrid (2010)