New York artist Elisabeth Haly Meyer makes prints to investigate the serial image, the multiple, and the potential for 'tangential' narratives often through book and folio formats. Her work, which includes drawing, painting, and sculpture is influenced by architecture, nature, and history; this work is personal in nature, but easily translate into compositions in which "meaning must be extracted from the reading of images alone." With prints, Meyer exhibits larger paintings and drawings that employ printmaking techniques such as rubbing, collage, and stencil.
Meyer has recently curated and organized several exhibitions in the Bibliowicz Family Gallery, including Print, Text, Language in 2014 which examined contemporary conceptual approaches to the artist book featuring work by several Cornell alums; Hybrid Prints: Old and New Technology in Contemporary Prints, a collaborative exhibit with PACE PRINTS in 2013; and a solo exhibit of sculpture by artist Jerry Misrach in 2012.
Through a 2015 Lehman grant, she is exploring a cultural exchange that links East in West through fine art print traditions and sharing technology through three new editions by Scottish sculptor Lucy Skaer; Hongwei Yang, print professor at the Central Academy of Fine Art in Beijing; and herself. Meyer has also coordinated the printing of editions with students by artists Steve DiBenedetto and Pedro Barbeito. She has been a visiting critic at Brown University, Massachusetts College of Art, and RISD, and has exhibited her work throughout the U.S. and internationally. Meyer received her B.A. from the University of California–Berkley and her M.F.A. from the University of Texas at Austin.
- Print Text Language
- Print Media: Special Topics
- Print Produced with Student Help Is on Display in L.A.
- Elisabeth Meyer: Black Night/White Night
- Drawing IV Rotating Exhibition
- ART 3306 Print Media: The Artist's Book and the Object Multiple
- ART 3305 Print Media: Professional Collaboration and Studio Practices
- ART 4001 and 4002: Thesis I and II
- ART 2301: Introduction to Print Media
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Jeffrey Sean Lehman Grant for Scholarly Exchange with China (2015)
- Cornell Council for the Arts in conjunction with Warehouse Gallery (2010)
- Saltonstall Foundation Grant in Printmaking (2001)
- Dean's Venture Capital Fund Grant (2000)
- Printmaking and You (2005)
- Intaglio Printmaking (2004)