Dan Torop is a photographer whose work examines how we shape and imagine the land. Torop's work has been exhibited extensively, recently in collaboration with the Center for Land Use Interpretation, the Lynden Sculpture Garden, the Green Gallery, and Spoonbill Studios. Torop's work is currently represented by Derek Eller Gallery, New York City. He contributes code to darktable, an open source tool for processing photographs, and is a coeditor of ASMR4, a collaborative experiment in publishing brief books of images.
He received a B.A. in visual and environmental studies from Harvard and an M.F.A. in photography from the Yale School of Art. Prior to teaching at AAP, Torop was a faculty member at New York University, Columbia University, Florida State University, City College, and Parsons School of Design.
Academic Research/Specialty Areas
- Collaborative practice
- Digital media
- Interdisciplinary art
- Public art
- Technology and art
- Digital image processing
- 3D animation
- ASMR4, Vol. 8: Clear Comfort: Photographs from the Alice Austen Archive
- Group Show: Site Work
- Department of Art Hires Photographer Dan Torop
- ART 2601 Introduction to PhotographyThis course explores camera and lens as devices that frame and translate three-dimensional space to a two-dimensional surface. Through assignments and individual investigation, students acquire a deeper understanding of visual perception and photography as medium for personal expression. This course introduces students to photographic processes and assumes no prior knowledge of photography.
- ART 3699 Photography: Special Topics, Photographic PracticeAdvanced studio course related to photography. Topics vary each semester.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Marian O. Naumburg Fellow, the MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, New Hampshire (2013)
- Wendover Residence Program, the Center for Land Use Interpretation, Wendover, Utah (2011)
- EdLab Digital Art Residency, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York (2009)
- Winter Resident, Eyebeam, New York (2008)
- Gardner Traveling Fellowship, Harvard University, Massachusetts (1994)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Chapter XVIII, long-term installation in Exhibit Hall Room 24, the Center for Land Use Interpretation, Wendover, Utah (2017–ongoing)
- Frozen Period, solo exhibition at Lynden Sculpture Garden, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (2015)
- "Slumgullion," lecture at the Sunview Luncheonette, Brooklyn, New York (2014)
- Torop, Dan. Lone Garden, Lone Lake (ASMR4 v.3). New York: ASMR4, (2018).
- Torop, Dan. Dan Torop: Frozen Period. Milwaukee: Bradley Family Foundation, (2015).
- Torop, Dan. Skydiving. Ithaca: A-Jump Books, (2010).