Alva Mooses finds raw materials in her immediate surroundings that speak to a particular environment and moment in time. Noticing colors in rocks, Mooses heeds their potential as pigment for her prints; passing construction sites and seeing leftover concrete spread over the ground, she realizes its past liquid reality containing the ability to be shaped into in situ cast forms. When working with the collected materials, Mooses often returns to her understanding of printmaking — the translation of information from one surface to another, the transformations that occur through repetition, and the experience of lifting the paper to see what has been impressed upon it through inverted forms.
From 2004–09, Mooses cofounded community art initiatives in Latin America. These projects created a platform for more than 40 New York City–based artists to make their work and teach art in international contexts. Her practice has also involved research in Northern Europe, traveling from Iceland to Norway by sea, photographing traditional houses ("architecture without architects").
Mooses was selected to participate in residencies at the University of Chicago's Arts and Public Life Program and Columbia College's Center for Book and Paper Arts. She received her B.F.A. from the Cooper Union School of Art and her M.F.A. from Yale University's School of Art, Painting, and Printmaking.
- ART 2501: Drawing: Intro to Drawing
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Danish Art Travel Grant for Architectural Research in Mexico with Troels Steenholdt Heiredal (2016)
- Rema Hort Mann Foundation ACE Grant for publication project: Correspondence from NYC to Port-au-Prince (2015)
- Davidoff Arts Initiative Resident Artist in Altos de Chavón, Dominican Republic (2015)
- Robert Schoelkopf Prize, Yale University for fieldwork in Iceland, the Faroe Islands, and Norway (2013)
- The University of Chicago Arts and Public Life Artist-in-Residence (2012)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Portrait of a Landscape, Shirley Fiterman Art Center, New York City (2016)
- Artist Co-op III, Jamaica Center for the Arts and Learning, New York City (2016)
- Artist Talk, Swiss Institute, New York City (2015)
- Correspondence from NYC to PAP (2016).
- XI [SHEE] Symmetries, artist book edition at Columbia College, CBPA (2012).