Michael Tomlan: Rehabilitation of the Boys and Girls Club Harlem: The Residences at P.S. 186

Three panels showing a large building in three different eras.

The school circa 1920 (left), before preservation (center), and after (right). photo / provided

Serving as the historic preservation consultant, Professor Michael A. Tomlan worked from 2014 to 2016 with the Boys and Girls Club of Harlem, New York City's Department of Housing Preservation and Development, and Monadnock Development LLC to transform a 1903 school into 78 mixed-income apartments with 10,000 square feet for the Boys and Girls Club of Harlem headquarters. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the project required adherence to the secretary of the interior's standards in order to receive historic tax credits.