Lorena del Río
Lorena del Rio's research concentrates on the use of plastic in architecture — from the early days of its development up to today — and investigates new concepts related to the specific qualities of plastic materials in design. Since 2008 she has worked with Selgascano, participating in the development process of multiple projects including Cartagena Auditorium, Plasencia Convention Center, and Merida Young Factory. These projects include the use of plastics in a variety of innovative ways. She has also collaborated with Iñaqui Carnicero in various competitions and has earned awards and been published internationally.
Del Rio earned her bachelor's and master's degrees in architecture from the Polytechnic University of Madrid in 2008. Through a scholarship granted by the Spanish Ministry of Education, she worked with the Department of Architectural Design and Urban Planning during her studies in 2005–06. She completed her Ph.D. courses in 2010.
- Venice Biennale Golden Lion Goes to Carnicero for Spanish Pavilion
- Jello Pavilion Featured in ArchDaily
- ARCH 4605/6609 Special Topics in Construction: Plastics in ArchitectureThis course addresses pertinent issues relative to the subject of Construction. The instructor(s) of the course are drawn from the permanent and visiting faculty who may either broadly or narrowly define the course's scope and content. For precise content please see the Architecture Department webpage .
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Awarded scholarship from the EU-exchange program at Roma Tre University (2004–05)
- Awarded MEC scholarship from the Spanish Ministry of Education (2005–06)
- Shortlisted, Guest House Competition in Villafranca de los Barros, Extremadura (2009)
- Honorable Mention, Europan 11 Competition, Housing in San Bartolomé (2011)
- Honorable Mention, Sculpture Museum at Leganés Garden (2011)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- VIVA Competition exhibition of awardees (first prize) for 320 Experimental Housing for young families in Navalcarnero, Arquerías Nuevos Ministerios, Madrid (2007)
- Competition exhibition of awardees for a Guest House in Villafranca de los Barros, Architect Association of Extremadura (2010)
- International 2012 Emergin Future, GA Gallery, Japan (2012)
- CTA ETSAM, "Reviewing Le Corbusier," Academic Text Collection. Luis Moreno Mansilla, Emilio Tuñón (2011)
- Yearbook 2004–05, "Carne Fresca," Alessandro Anselmi, Università degli Studi Roma Tre (2005)
- Yearbook 2002–03, "Atravesar el Espejo," Alberto Campo Baeza, Architecture School of Polytechnic University of Madrid (2003)