Julian Palacio is the founder of JP/A, a collaborative architecture and design office based in New York City, driven by a culture of innovation and research across multiple scales and geographies. He is a Macdowell Fellow and the recipient of the 2012 Deborah J. Norden Fund Travel Fellowship from the Architectural League of New York. His current research concentrates on exploring the possibilities for structural performance to develop new formal vocabularies in architecture.
During his career, Palacio has been a lead designer in multiple award-wining cultural, residential, mixed-use projects and competitions in the United States, Latin America, and Asia. Prior to establishing his independent practice he worked with Enrique Norten/TEN Arquitectos in New York City, Nader Tehrani and Monica Ponce de Leon at Boston-based Office dA, and with Ali Rahim and Hina Jamelle at C-A-P.
Palacio has previously taught at the University of Pennsylvania, the Institute for Architecture and Urban Studies in New York, Catholic University of America, and has been a guest juror for reviews at MIT, Pratt Institute, NJIT, among others. He received his master's degree from the Graduate School of Architecture, Planning, and Preservation at Columbia University (New York City), and a bachelor of architecture from the Universidad Javeriana (Bogotá, Colombia), where he was cofounder and coeditor of +A Architecture Journal.
- Architecture Graduate Students Study Bogotá's City-Nature Boundary
- Interdisciplinary Symposium Discusses Progress in the Colombian City
- ARCH 5112 M.Arch. Core Design Studio II with Lily Chi (2015)
- ARCH 4102 Design VIII Structures of Convergence - Forms of Resistance: A New Building for the BAM Cultural District (2014)
- ARCH 4605 Special Topics in Construction: Structural Formalism in Latin American Architecture (2013)
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- MacDowell Residential Fellow, the MacDowell Colony, Peterborough, New Hampshire (2012)
- The Deborah J. Norden Fund Travel/Research Grant, the Architectural League of New York (2012)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- AIA Emerging Professionals Exhibition, AIA National Headquarters, Washington DC (2014, 2013)
- "Opportunism and Fabrications," lecture, Universidad de La República, Montevideo, Uruguay (2012)
- "Response and Responsibility," panel, Build Boston, Boston Society of Architects (2011)
- "Palaces for the People: Guastavino and the Art of Structural Tile," Urban Omnibus (2014)
- "Material Tour de Force: The Work of Eladio Dieste," Travel Reports: The Deborah J. Norden Fund (2014)
- "e(CO)Structures," PLAT 3.0 (2013)
- ABSTRACT 01.02, GSAPP Columbia University (2002)
- Città: Terzo Millennio, competition catalog, La Biennale di Venezia (2000)