Born in Navarre in 1957, Francisco Mangado graduated from the University of Navarre School of Architecture in 1982 and has been teaching there since. He has also been a Visiting Professor at the Harvard Graduate School of Design and an Eero Saarinen Visiting Professor at the Yale School of Architecture. He is currently a Professor Extraordinaire of Projects at his alma mater in Pamplona and a Guest Lecturer at the École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne.
The numerous distinctions he has received include the Thienne Architecture Award, the Architécti Prize, the FAD Award for Architecture and the Construmat. The year 2009 brought him the Giancarlo Ius Gold Medal of the UIA, the García Mercadal Prize, the Copper in Architecture Award, the International Architecture Award, and the National Architecture Award of Spain’s Council of Architects’ Associations (CSCAE). He was named a RIBA International Fellow in December 2011 by the Royal Institute of British Architects, and in February 2013 he has been granted an AIA honorary Fellowship by the American Institute of Architects.
- ARCH 4101/4012/5101 Option Studio: In Between the Stone and the AirAdvanced programs in architectural design, with options in, but not limited to, urban design, architectural technology, computational design, ecology, culture, and representation.
Awards, Grants, and Fellowships (Selected)
- Winner, RIBA EU Award, for the Municipal Auditorium of Teulada-Moraira, given by the Roal Institute of British Architects to buildings within the European Union but outside the United Kingdom (2013)
- AIA Honorary Fellowship, awarded by the American Institute of Architects to non-U.S. architects who have contributed significantly to architecture and society (2013)
- Winner, International Architecture Award for the Municipal Auditorium of Teulada, given by the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design and the European Centre for Architecture, Art, Design, and Urban Studies (2009)
- RIBA International Fellowship, awarded by the Royal Institute of British Architects to non-UK architectus for their particular contribution to the field of architecture (2011)
- Winner, Spanish Architecture Award for Spanish Pavilion at Expo Zaragoza, given by Spain's National Council of Architects' Association, Madrid (2009)
Exhibitions and Presentations (Selected)
- Monographic exhibition, Francisco Mangado, Arquitecto, a retrospective on Mangado's work organized by the University of Porto Faculty of Architecture (FAUP), the Círculo de Bellas Artes de Madrid, the Fundación Arquitectura y Sociedad, Jofebar, Dynamobel, and ALS, FAUP Museum (2013)
- Monographic exhibition, Francisco Mangado, Architect: Architecture With The Left Hand, a retrospective of Mangado's work organized by AEDES, Hélicon Axis, the Círculo de Bellas Artes in Madrid, and the Spanish Embassy in Berlin and its Cultural Office, Architekturforum Aedes am Pfefferberg Hall, AEDES Gallery (December 2011–January 2012)
- On Site: New Architecture in Spain, an exhibition of various works, MoMA, New York City (2006)
- Monograph: "Francisco Mangado," Darco Magazine, special edition no. 16, foreword by José Manuel Pedreirinho, published by Mesclagama, Portugal (September–October 2010)
- "Francisco Mangado 1999–2000," AV Monographs 133. Texts by Luis Fernández-Galiano, Jorge Francisco Liernur and Kenneth Frampton, published by Luis Fernández-Galiano, Arquitectura Viva, Madrid (September–October 2008)
- "Opere e progetti Francisco Mangado," Editorial Mondadori Electa, Milán (2005)